• Utilize broadleaf weed killers to lawns now to manage chickweed, henbit, dandelions and other hardy spring weeds. Keep away from locations exactly where seeding is nonetheless still to be performed as herbicides will interfere with seed sprouting and establishment.
• Cannas, dahlias and elephant ear bulbs can be dug when frost nips their foliage. Allow the crops to dry in a frost-free of charge ventilated locale for a 7 days or two in advance of storing for winter season.
• “Pluck” only the petals from rose flowers as they fade, leaving the remainder of the put in bloom intact to permit hips (fruits) to develop.
• Pick gourds anytime after their stem turns brown and the tendrils following to them become dry. Small ornamental gourds should be picked in advance of frost. Hardshell gourds (Lagenaria spp.) need to have not be picked just before frost kills the vine.
• Start out potting up spring bulbs for forcing later this wintertime. Retail store pots in a amazing, frost- and rodent-free of charge site until finally time to carry indoors, ordinarily in 12 to 15 months.
• Water houseplants significantly less often and prevent fertilizing now as expansion slows in response to shorter working day length.
Every 7 days, we aspect a St. Louis-space residence to showcase, commonly simply because of its good design but occasionally, just staying quirky earns it the difference.